Ask Canadian Rockies hikers about the Livingstone PLUZ and you might draw blank stares. Often only known by locals, this swath of public land north of the municipality of Crowsnest Pass lies in the shadow of popular recreation destinations like Banff, Kananaskis Country, and Jasper.
Its abundance of treasures—the towering Crowsnest Mountain and Gould Dome, the majestic headwalls of the High Rock range, the poetic alpine lakes and meadows, the arresting views earned from ridgetops, the humbling sight of scrambling Rocky Mountain goats—are all left to enjoy by those who know where to go find them. What better locale to help with the construction of our High Rock Trail could there be?
Trail building with the Great Divide Trail Association is more than just volunteer work. It’s an opportunity to:
- EXPLORE the geography of a breathtaking region. We promise you one of the most scenic daily commutes you could imagine. And why not cap a rewarding day of trail building with a stunning ridge walk (trips #1-5, waiting list only) or an optional dip into the glacial waters of Window Mountain Lake (trips #6-7)?
- STEWARD the land, helping to create new sustainable recreation options for hikers and equestrians.
- PRACTICE or TEACH new backcountry skills with fellow volunteers.
- LEARN about flower and tree species identification, bird and mammal tracking, conservation issues in the Livingstone PLUZ, and sustainable trail building techniques.
- MEET like-minded individuals with a wide array of life experiences and anecdotes. It’s the perfect ingredient for an enjoyable evening around the campfire.
- SLEEP under the stars. Rejuvenating!
- UNWIND and enjoy the great outdoors.
Will you join us this summer? Registration is well underway for our popular trail building trips. While some trips are already full, there are still plenty of availabilities for our members, including the following dates:
HIGH ROCK TRAIL (Livingstone PLUZ)
Trip #1 – Thursday, June 13 to Monday, June 17
Trip #2 – Monday, June 17 to Friday, June 21
Trip #3 – Saturday, June 22 to Thursday, June 27
Trip #4 – Thursday, June 27 to Tuesday, July 2
Trip #5 – Thursday, July 4 to Tuesday, July 9
Trip #6 – Tuesday, July 9 to Saturday, July 13 (drop ins available)
Trip #7 – Sunday, July 14 to Friday, July 19 (drop ins available)
ORIGINAL GDT, LOST CREEK (CATARACT CREEK PLUZ)
Trip #9 – Friday, August 2 to Tuesday, August 6
Visit http://www.greatdividetrail.com/2019-trail-building-maintenance-trips-call-for-volunteers to see the entire trip roster.
Email us at email@example.com to sign up!