“GDT Hiker Notes” were started by Ben Mayberry and Li Brannfors in 2011/12 and provide helpful updates to Dustin Lynx’s guidebook to assist hikers doing the GDT in the future. This document is hosted on Google Drive and is user-maintained and updated by GDT hikers every year as it is passed from class to class on the Great Divide Trail.
- Trail condition updates
- Detailed descriptions of the trail, including navigational challenges
- Opinions on route choices
- Descriptions of alternates routes
- General tips
If you use this document please consider providing your own updates after your hike.
Instructions for updating GDT Hiker Notes:
- Click the image below to view GDT Hikers Notes.
- Email us requesting access to the document so we can share editing rights with you, or
- Email your updates directly to us and we will add them to the document for you.
- The document is organized from south to north along the trail and separated into segments according to Dustin Lynx’s guidebook.
- Insert your personal trail update into the corresponding segment of the trail, including the date of the update and your personal identifier.
- Be clear and concise and avoid excessively long updates.
- Personal opinions and recommendations are encouraged!
- Referencing the kilometre marker or nearest guidebook waypoint is helpful.
- Add your personal identifier (e.g. your initials), your name/trail-name, and the date of your hike to the ‘Contributors’ section on the first page.
72.6 km – DH (17-JUL-2017) The GDT is marked with orange blazes beginning just east of Tornado Mountain Saddle (b17), continuing until Fording River Pass (b31). The views from Tornado Mountain Saddle are incredible!